Page 4 - Potted History 2017
P. 4

                                                                                                                                                       The School closed temporarily
                                                                                                                                                       early in 1872 but several weeks
                                                                                                                                                       later re-opened under Colonel E.W.
                                                                                                                                                       [‘Paddy’] Haynes. It subsequently
                                                                                                                                                       joined the newly constituted High
                                                                                                                                                       School in 1878. Haynes was born in
                                                                                                                                                       Ireland, educated at Kings’ College,
                                                                                                                                                       a civil engineer by profession and
                 1869                                                                                                                                  migrated to South Australia in 1867.
                                                                                                                                                       He travelled to Western Australia in
                 Bishop’s School Old Boy John Forrest                                                                                                  1871 and took up the post of second
                 leads a 4 month expedition from                                                                                                       master under the Reverend Hare.
                 Perth in search of clues to the fate of                                                                                               Haynes.                       The 1874 Expedition
                 the long-lost Leichardt expedition.                                                                                                                                 Back: T Pierre, T Windich, J Kennedy, J Sweeney Front: A Forrest, J Forrest
                 1870s                                                                                                                                 Bishop Hale requested retirement
                 Bishop’s School Old Boys John and                                                                           Col. E W Haynes (1872-1878)  (from the Diocese of Perth) but was
                 Alexander Forrest undertake various                                                                                                   appointed to succeed Bishop Tufnell
                 expeditions to open up vast areas                                                                                                     as Bishop of Brisbane where he was
                 of the state to agriculture, and were                                                                                                 to serve for another 11 years.
                 rewarded with various grants of land.
                                 John Forrest - 1874                                                                                                   12 September: The High School Act
                                                                                                                                                       1876 was passed by the Legislative
                                                                                                                                                       Council. The new school assumed the
                                                                                                                                                       title ‘High School’ and came under
                                                                                                                                                       the control of Governors appointed
                                                                                                                                                       by the State.
                                                                                                                                                       Richard Davies commenced as first
                                                                                                                                                       Headmaster of The High School.
                                                                                                                                                       Paddy Haynes walked his 14 boys
                                                                                                                                                       across St George’s Terrace to join the
                                                                                                                                                       newly constituted School located in
                                                                                                                                                       Mr George Randell’s house opposite.
                                                                                                                                                       The High School and the Haynes’
                                                                                                                                                       Perth Collegiate School became one.
                                                                                                                                                                                     Mr George Randell’s house occupied by the School in 1878
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9